Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Well, Hello and Merry Christmas



Hello,
It was sweet to Skype with the family on Christmas.  I loved seeing and talking to you guys. The good thing is it didn't even make me sad or miss home. But it made me way happy seeing you guys. Sorry I don't have much time to write this week. Let’s just say Christmas has been good and all but I was just glad to get back to work.
I will write more next week and such.
Elder Dinsdale

From Jen:
I will share a few things from our Christmas visit with Elder Dinsdale.  We were glad that Megan helped us with some questions so we kept him talking and that Tom recorded it.   So if anyone wants to see Elder Dinsdale on the screen please come over, I love watching it!!

How do you like Kiritimati?  I love it here.  I loved Banana and now I love London.  The people are great and my companion Elder Hungai and now Elder Johnson is chill.  We get along great and work hard every day.  I get up every day at 6:30 exercise for 30 minutes, shower (with a bucket) get dressed and then eat breakfast which usually consists now of a pudding cup!!  I then have personal study, companion study and then language study for a total of 3 hours.  We then eat lunch and head out to start teaching at noon.  We are blessed to go eat with members usually each night at 7:00.  We come back to our house at 9:00pm tired but good.  As far as food goes one thing you can always plan on is rice at every meal.  And usually fish at every meal as well.  Although I have eaten pizza twice.  It’s not like American pizza but hey it’s pizza!!

Have you eaten raw fish?  The mission nurse said not to and I am taking her advice so I have not eaten raw fish.  When I say we eat fish I mean we get a whole fish.  We cut it, take the bones out and eat it.  My favorite so far is sea turtle my least favorite is hermit crab.

What is your favorite thing to study on your mission?  I have read the Book of Mormon twice since I have been here but I am also reading the New Testament and am really enjoying reading it.

Describe what the streets are like.  In Banana the streets were very different from London.  In Banana they were nicer but they are not as good here.  Kids play in the street since there are not many cars on the street.  There is only 1 road that goes through Kiritimati.

How do you get around?  We ride bikes everywhere. 

What was it like when you were on a boat for 24 hours when you went to Tabueron?  Well, let me tell you about that.  When we left we walked out on a little wooden dock and there was a crane with a big net.   They put people in the net and then placed us in the boat.  Once in the boat we put down our grass mat and laid on it to save our spot.  There were 2 bathrooms (if you want to call them that) on the boat and they gave us drinks.  Once we got to Tabueron small boats came out to the big boat and took us to the Island.  Everyone left and we just waited until finally someone went and got the Branch President.  It was all good.  On that Island we were able to eat fresh fruit (bananas and papayas) which we do not get in London or Banana so that was good.  Tabueron was great!!

You said that there is a lot more rain in London.  Are you still wearing socks every day?   Yes, I start our every day with socks on.  We ride bikes everywhere we go.  I am skilled when there is water.  I pedal fast and then lift up my feet when I go through the puddles so I don’t get my socks wet!!!!

Since you are on the equator when does the sun come up and go down?  The sun comes up at about 6 and goes down about 6:30 every day. 

What did you do on Christmas day?  Christmas was awesome. Christmas Eve we gathered together and did a nativity scene and acted out Christ's birth. Then we played games with all the kids in Tabwakea.  It was so much fun. We also did a Secret Santa in our District.  We also got to watch "Big Hero Six".   I loved it.  It was a great day!!

Have you ever seen carpet in a house?  A guy in Tabwakea has a carpet it is pretty dirty but it is carpet. 

How has your perspective changed about life?  I know that the Power of Prayer is real.

How is your health?  I am healthy, I have been sick before but I am good now.  I gained 20 lbs when I was in the MTC but have lost 15 lbs on my mission so I am still up 5!

Is your mission what you expected?  Yes it is great!!

Are you taking your vitamins?  Well, no they are still in my suitcase.  I should be taking those.

There are many more things but I will end with my favorite question and answer. 

Do you sing a lot on your mission?  And will you sing for us in Kiribati?  I just happen to bring my song book in case someone asked.  Elder Dinsdale then sang a few lines of “I Need Thee Every Hour” in Kiribati.  It was beautiful.

He then ended with his Testimony in Kiribati and can I just say that Elder Dinsdale has been blessed with the gift of tongues.

Doing the Nativity on Christmas Day 2015!


Christmas Breakfast with the Kiritimati District Missionaries!!

No comments:

Post a Comment